Video game soundtracks have come a long way since the early days of gaming. Today, they are not just background music, but an integral part of the gaming experience. With so many incredible soundtracks out there, it’s hard to determine which one is the best. However, the reddit community has come together to share their opinions and vote for the best video game soundtrack of all time. From epic orchestral scores to catchy electronic beats, this list is a celebration of the most memorable and impactful video game music. Join us as we explore the top picks and discover the magic behind these iconic soundtracks.
What Makes a Great Video Game Soundtrack?
The Role of Music in Enhancing Gameplay
- The power of music in video games cannot be overstated.
- Music is an integral part of the overall gaming experience, capable of evoking emotions, creating tension, and enhancing the immersion of players in the game world.
- It is not just background noise, but a dynamic element that can complement the gameplay and storytelling.
- The impact of music on gameplay varies depending on the type of game and its design.
- In action-packed games, music can provide a sense of urgency and enhance the pace of the game.
- In puzzle games, music can help set the tone and create an atmosphere of concentration and contemplation.
- In role-playing games, music can accompany character development and story progression.
- A well-designed soundtrack can elevate a game from mediocre to exceptional.
- It can create memorable moments, make the game more enjoyable, and increase the replay value.
- A great soundtrack can also make a game more marketable and recognizable, leading to a larger fan base and greater commercial success.
- Thus, it is not surprising that a Reddit community dedicated to discussing video game soundtracks has generated a list of the best video game soundtracks of all time.
- This list reflects the collective opinion of gamers who appreciate the power of music in enhancing their gaming experience.
- It showcases the diversity and creativity of video game music, ranging from epic orchestral scores to electronic dance tracks.
- The community’s top picks demonstrate the potential of video game music to captivate players and leave a lasting impression.
Criteria for Evaluating Video Game Soundtracks
When evaluating video game soundtracks, several criteria can be considered to determine what makes a great soundtrack. These criteria include:
- Relevance: The soundtrack should be relevant to the game’s theme, story, and atmosphere. It should enhance the player’s experience and not distract from it.
- Originality: The soundtrack should be original and not simply a rehash of existing music. It should bring something new and unique to the game.
- Emotional Impact: The soundtrack should be able to evoke emotions in the player, whether it be joy, sadness, or excitement. It should be able to heighten the player’s experience and make it more memorable.
- Technical Quality: The soundtrack should be technically sound, with clear and crisp audio, proper mixing, and mastering.
- Replayability: The soundtrack should be able to hold up well even after multiple playthroughs. It should be able to maintain its impact and not become tiresome.
- Memorability: The soundtrack should be memorable and able to stay with the player long after they have finished the game. It should be able to leave a lasting impression on the player.
These criteria can be used to evaluate video game soundtracks and determine what makes a great soundtrack. A soundtrack that meets these criteria can greatly enhance the player’s experience and make the game more memorable.
Reddit Communities Dedicated to Video Game Soundtracks
- r/VideoGameMusic is a subreddit dedicated to discussing, sharing, and appreciating video game music.
- Members share music from various video games, as well as discuss the impact of music on the gaming experience.
- The community is inclusive, with fans of all genres and generations of video games welcome to participate.
- Music posts: Members share and discuss video game music tracks, OSTs, and remixes.
- Game-specific discussions: Members discuss the music in specific games, and how it enhances or detracts from the gaming experience.
- Musician appreciation: The community often highlights the work of composers and musicians who have contributed to video game music.
- Gaming culture: Discussions on gaming culture, including the role of music in video games, are also common.
- Community Engagement:
- Friendly and welcoming: Members are respectful and encouraging of newcomers, making it a great place for those interested in video game music to start engaging with others.
- Active moderation: The moderators ensure that the community remains focused on video game music and maintain a positive environment.
- Regular events and challenges: The community regularly hosts events and challenges, such as “Music Monday” and “Video Game Music Appreciation Day,” which foster engagement and promote sharing within the community.
r/GamingMusic is a subreddit dedicated to all things related to video game music. The community is filled with passionate gamers and music enthusiasts who share their love for the unique and diverse soundtracks that accompany their favorite games.
The subreddit has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, with users regularly sharing their favorite tracks, game soundtracks they’re currently listening to, and discussing the impact of music on their gaming experience. Members also often post about new game releases and upcoming soundtracks they’re excited about.
One of the unique aspects of r/GamingMusic is the monthly “Music Monday” thread, where users share their favorite tracks from the previous month. This thread has become a popular way for members to discover new music and connect with other gamers who share their taste in video game soundtracks.
Another interesting aspect of the subreddit is the “Music Battle” thread, where users compete against each other by sharing their favorite tracks from a specific game or composer. These battles can get quite competitive, with users defending their choices and trying to sway others to their side.
The moderators of r/GamingMusic are very active in maintaining the community’s standards and ensuring that discussions remain respectful and on-topic. They also regularly post updates about new game soundtracks and other music-related news in the gaming industry.
Overall, r/GamingMusic is a great place for anyone interested in video game music to connect with like-minded individuals and discover new and exciting soundtracks.
The r/GameSoundtracks community on Reddit is a haven for gamers and music enthusiasts alike. With over 25,000 members, this community is dedicated to sharing and discussing the best video game soundtracks of all time. The members of this community are passionate about video game music and are always eager to discover new and exciting soundtracks to add to their collections.
One of the great things about the r/GameSoundtracks community is that it is very active. Members regularly share their favorite soundtracks and discuss why they love them. They also share news about upcoming game releases and their accompanying soundtracks. Additionally, members often post requests for recommendations on what games to play based on their musical preferences.
Another aspect of the r/GameSoundtracks community that makes it so special is the high level of engagement from its members. Many members are knowledgeable about video game music and are more than happy to share their insights and opinions with others. They also regularly host AMA (Ask Me Anything) sessions with composers and other industry professionals, providing members with a unique opportunity to learn more about the creative process behind their favorite video game soundtracks.
The r/GameSoundtracks community is also home to a number of events and challenges throughout the year. For example, members often participate in “Soundtrack Saturday” challenges, where they share their favorite soundtracks and discuss why they love them. These challenges are a great way for members to discover new music and connect with other like-minded individuals.
Overall, the r/GameSoundtracks community on Reddit is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in video game music. With its active members, knowledgeable discussions, and engaging events, this community is a must-visit for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of the best video game soundtracks of all time.
Top Picks for Best Video Game Soundtracks According to Reddit
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, released in 1998, is considered one of the greatest video games of all time, and its soundtrack is no exception.
- The game’s score was composed by Koji Kondo, who also composed the music for many other classic Nintendo games, including Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask.
- The soundtrack features a mix of orchestral and electronic elements, with memorable themes for each of the game’s main characters and locations.
- The game’s main theme, “Zelda’s Lullaby,” has become one of the most recognizable and beloved video game melodies of all time.
- The soundtrack also includes a number of iconic tracks, such as “Gerudo Valley,” “Kokiri Forest,” and “Hyrule Castle,” which help to create a sense of immersion and atmosphere in the game.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time’s soundtrack has been widely praised for its emotional depth and memorable melodies, and is often cited as one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time.
Final Fantasy Series
The Final Fantasy series is renowned for its captivating storylines, breathtaking visuals, and memorable soundtracks. The music in this series has been composed by some of the most talented composers in the industry, including Nobuo Uematsu and Yoko Shimomura.
The soundtracks of the Final Fantasy series are a fusion of various musical genres, including classical, electronic, and rock. The music is often used to enhance the emotional impact of the game’s story, and it has become a key element in the series’ success.
One of the most iconic pieces of music in the Final Fantasy series is the theme song, “Final Fantasy,” which has been featured in every game in the series. The song has been remixed and remastered numerous times, and it has become a staple of the franchise’s identity.
Other notable soundtracks in the Final Fantasy series include “Eyes on Me” from Final Fantasy VIII, “One-Winged Angel” from Final Fantasy VII, and “Lux Et Veritas” from Final Fantasy X. These songs have become synonymous with the series and are often cited as some of the best video game music of all time.
Reddit users have consistently ranked the Final Fantasy series as one of the best video game soundtracks of all time, praising its emotional impact and the way it enhances the overall gaming experience.
The Halo series, developed by Bungie and later 343 Industries, has consistently featured some of the most memorable and impactful video game soundtracks of all time. The series’ musical score, composed by Martin O’Donnell and later by Michael Salvatori, has been praised for its emotional depth and cinematic quality. Here are some of the most notable tracks from the Halo series:
The iconic “Halo Theme” is perhaps the most recognizable piece of music in the entire series. Composed by Martin O’Donnell, the theme captures the epic scope and sense of adventure that defines the Halo franchise. The music has been featured in numerous trailers and promotional materials, and has become synonymous with the series as a whole.
“The Maw” is a haunting and atmospheric track that appears in Halo 3. The music was composed by Michael Salvatori, and features eerie, otherworldly sounds that perfectly capture the feeling of being lost in a strange and dangerous environment. The track has been praised for its ability to create a sense of tension and unease, and is widely regarded as one of the most memorable pieces of music in the entire series.
“Never Forget” is a poignant and emotional track that appears in Halo 3: ODST. The music was composed by Martin O’Donnell, and features a soaring vocal melody that captures the sense of loss and longing that defines the game’s narrative. The track has been praised for its ability to evoke powerful emotions, and is widely regarded as one of the most moving pieces of music in the entire series.
“The Silent Cartographer”
“The Silent Cartographer” is a haunting and atmospheric track that appears in Halo: Combat Evolved. The music was composed by Martin O’Donnell, and features a combination of ambient sounds and electronic beats that create a sense of mystery and intrigue. The track has been praised for its ability to transport players to the game’s alien worlds, and is widely regarded as one of the most immersive pieces of music in the entire series.
Overall, the Halo series is known for its incredible musical score, which has helped to establish the franchise as one of the most beloved and influential in all of gaming. Whether you’re a fan of epic orchestral music, haunting ambient sounds, or emotional vocal melodies, the Halo series has something for everyone.
Red Dead Redemption 2
Red Dead Redemption 2 has been widely acclaimed for its stunning soundtrack, which perfectly captures the mood and atmosphere of the game. The score is a collaborative effort between various composers, including Woody Jackson, David Wittman, and David Sardy, who have come together to create a cohesive and immersive audio experience.
The soundtrack of Red Dead Redemption 2 is characterized by its use of acoustic instruments, such as guitars, banjos, and fiddles, which evoke a sense of the Wild West. The music is often somber and melancholic, reflecting the harsh realities of life in the late 1800s. However, it also features upbeat and energetic tracks that add to the excitement of the game’s many action sequences.
One of the standout tracks from the Red Dead Redemption 2 soundtrack is “That’s the Way Forward, Pioneer,” which plays during the game’s opening sequence. This hauntingly beautiful song sets the tone for the entire game and introduces players to the game’s setting and characters.
Overall, the Red Dead Redemption 2 soundtrack is a masterclass in how music can be used to enhance the emotional impact of a video game. It is no wonder that it has become one of the most beloved and talked-about aspects of the game.
Undertale is a beloved indie game that has captured the hearts of many players since its release in 2015. The game’s soundtrack, composed by Toby Fox, is a significant contributor to its charm. The music in Undertale is renowned for its catchy melodies, emotional depth, and innovative use of chiptunes.
One of the standout tracks from the game is “Megalovania,” which has become an internet sensation and a meme in its own right. The song is often used in content creators’ videos and has been remixed countless times by fans.
The soundtrack of Undertale is also notable for its dynamic use of music. The game’s music changes depending on the player’s actions, making the experience more immersive and unique for each player. For example, the iconic battle theme “Angry Vegetables” only plays during a battle if the player has killed an enemy previously.
In addition to the innovative use of music, the soundtrack of Undertale is emotionally impactful. The game’s score captures the feeling of nostalgia, longing, and sadness throughout the story. Tracks like “Sans’ Theme” and “Ruins” are particularly moving and have been praised for their ability to evoke strong emotions in players.
Overall, the soundtrack of Undertale is a masterpiece that has resonated with players worldwide. It is a testament to the power of music in video games and its ability to enhance the overall experience.
Celeste is a beloved indie game that has gained a cult following since its release in 2018. The game’s soundtrack, composed by Lena Raine, has been praised for its emotional depth and memorable melodies.
According to Reddit users, the Celeste soundtrack is a standout among video game soundtracks. The game’s score is often cited as one of the best aspects of the game, with many players stating that it enhances the overall experience.
The soundtrack is heavily influenced by classical music, with elements of piano, strings, and electronic beats. The result is a unique and hauntingly beautiful score that perfectly captures the game’s mood and atmosphere.
One of the most popular tracks from the Celeste soundtrack is “Starcrossed Lovers,” which plays during the game’s final credits. The track is a poignant and emotional piece that has resonated with many players, and has been widely shared on social media.
Overall, the Celeste soundtrack is a masterclass in video game music composition, and is sure to be remembered as one of the best video game soundtracks of all time.
Persona 5 is a role-playing game developed by Atlus that was released in 2016. The game’s soundtrack features a variety of music genres, including jazz, pop, and electronic music. The music is composed by Shoji Meguro, who also composed the soundtracks for the previous Persona games.
The game’s soundtrack is highly regarded by fans and critics alike. It is praised for its catchy and memorable tunes, as well as its ability to enhance the game’s atmosphere and emotional impact. The main theme song, “Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There,” has become particularly iconic and is often cited as one of the best video game theme songs of all time.
The soundtrack also features a number of collaborations with popular Japanese artists, such as Lyn, who contributed the song “More Than One,” and Yuko Ando, who sang the ending theme “Cosmic Echoes.” These collaborations helped to further enhance the game’s soundtrack and gave it a unique and distinctive feel.
Overall, the soundtrack for Persona 5 is considered by many to be one of the best video game soundtracks of all time. Its catchy and memorable tunes, as well as its ability to enhance the game’s atmosphere and emotional impact, have made it a fan favorite and a staple of the Persona series.
The Impact of Video Game Soundtracks on Gamers and Beyond
Video game soundtracks have a profound impact on gamers, creating emotional engagement that enhances the overall gaming experience. These musical compositions often evoke powerful emotions and intensify the gaming atmosphere, enabling players to immerse themselves in the game world. The emotional engagement offered by video game soundtracks can be attributed to several factors:
- Memory association: Many iconic video game soundtracks are closely tied to specific memories or moments in the game. When players hear these tracks, they are transported back to those memorable instances, evoking a range of emotions. This connection helps players relive cherished gaming memories and feel more invested in the game.
- Storytelling: Video game soundtracks often serve as an extension of the game’s narrative, supporting and enhancing the storytelling. By setting the tone and conveying the mood, music helps players understand the emotions and intentions of characters, creating a deeper emotional connection with the game world.
- Audience identification: Some video game soundtracks become so popular that they transcend the game itself, gaining a wider audience beyond gamers. This broader appeal allows non-gamers to connect with the music and form their own emotional connections to the game, further enhancing the impact of the soundtrack.
- Universal emotions: Many video game soundtracks tap into universal human emotions, making them relatable and impactful for a wide range of players. By evoking feelings such as triumph, sadness, fear, or nostalgia, these soundtracks create a shared emotional experience that can bring players together regardless of their backgrounds or preferences.
- Dynamic composition: Video game soundtracks often change and evolve in response to the game’s events, creating a dynamic musical experience. This adaptability allows the music to mirror the player’s emotions and actions, making it feel more personalized and immersive.
In summary, emotional engagement is a crucial aspect of video game soundtracks, allowing players to connect with the game on a deeper emotional level. By tapping into memories, storytelling, audience identification, universal emotions, and dynamic composition, video game soundtracks can significantly enhance the gaming experience and create a lasting impact on players.
Video game soundtracks have had a profound impact on popular culture, transcending the world of gaming and influencing music and art in general. The following are some of the ways in which video game soundtracks have had a cultural significance:
- Innovation in Music: Video game soundtracks have been at the forefront of music innovation, experimenting with different styles and genres. From the chiptunes of the 8-bit era to the orchestral scores of modern games, video game music has continuously evolved and pushed the boundaries of what is possible in music.
- Cross-over Appeal: Video game soundtracks have also been successful in crossing over into other forms of media, such as film and television. The use of video game music in these mediums has helped to bridge the gap between gaming and mainstream culture, allowing for a wider audience to appreciate the art of video game music.
- Fandom and Identity: Video game soundtracks have also become a key aspect of fandom and identity for gamers. Many gamers use the music from their favorite games as a way to connect with the game and express their love for it. Additionally, the music can often serve as a form of self-expression, allowing gamers to identify with a particular game or genre.
- Commercial Success: Video game soundtracks have also achieved commercial success, with many soundtracks becoming best-selling albums. This success has helped to elevate the status of video game music and has allowed for more investment in the creation of high-quality soundtracks.
Overall, the cultural significance of video game soundtracks cannot be overstated. They have had a profound impact on popular culture, influencing music, art, and society as a whole.
The Future of Video Game Soundtracks
As technology continues to advance, the future of video game soundtracks is expected to become even more integrated into the overall gaming experience. Here are some potential developments to look out for:
- Increased Interactivity: With the rise of virtual reality and augmented reality gaming, video game soundtracks may become more interactive and responsive to the player’s actions. This could allow for a more immersive experience, where the music adapts in real-time to the player’s choices and progress in the game.
- Cross-Platform Integration: As gaming becomes more accessible across multiple platforms, video game soundtracks may be streamed or accessed through various devices and services. This could allow for greater flexibility in how players access and enjoy their favorite game soundtracks, whether through streaming services or in-game purchases.
- Greater Emphasis on Originality: As the gaming industry continues to mature, there may be a greater emphasis on originality and innovation in video game soundtracks. This could lead to more diverse and unique soundtracks that push the boundaries of what is possible in video game music.
- Collaborations and Crossovers: As the gaming industry continues to collaborate with other media industries, such as film and music, there may be more opportunities for cross-over collaborations and crossover soundtracks. This could lead to exciting new soundtracks that blend different genres and styles of music.
- The Rise of Indie Game Soundtracks: With the growth of the indie game development scene, there may be more opportunities for emerging composers and musicians to showcase their work in video game soundtracks. This could lead to a greater diversity of sounds and styles in video game music, as well as new and exciting talents emerging in the field.
Collaborations and Innovations
- Collaborations between video game composers and renowned musicians, resulting in unique and diverse soundtracks
- Examples: Final Fantasy series collaborations with orchestras, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time featuring cellist Yo-Yo Ma
- Innovative use of music technology and synthesis in game soundtracks
- Examples: chiptune music in early video games, the integration of live performance in more recent titles
- Fusion of different musical genres and styles, expanding the creative possibilities of video game music
- Examples: hip-hop influences in the Grand Theft Auto series, Latin American rhythms in the soundtrack of Samba de Amigo
- Incorporation of player choice and interaction into the game’s music, enhancing immersion and personalization
- Examples: customizable in-game radio stations in the GTA series, player-driven music creation in games like Deus Ex and Minecraft
Preserving Video Game Music History
The impact of video game soundtracks on gamers and beyond cannot be overstated. Video game music has come a long way since the early days of pixelated consoles, and today’s compositions are as diverse and captivating as any other form of music. But while the music itself is important, it’s also crucial to preserve the history of video game music for future generations.
This is where communities like Reddit come in. By sharing their favorite soundtracks and discussing the impact of video game music, members of these communities are helping to preserve the history of video game music. Whether it’s through remastered versions of classic soundtracks or discussions of the latest releases, these communities are ensuring that the rich history of video game music is not lost.
One way that this history is being preserved is through the creation of online archives. These archives contain everything from the earliest video game soundtracks to the latest releases, and they provide a valuable resource for anyone interested in exploring the history of video game music. Whether you’re a fan of classic games or just want to explore the evolution of video game music over time, these archives are an invaluable resource.
Another way that video game music history is being preserved is through the work of composers and musicians. Many of today’s video game composers are fans of the classics, and they’re working hard to ensure that the history of video game music is not lost. This can include everything from creating new arrangements of classic themes to recording new versions of old favorites.
Overall, the preservation of video game music history is an important part of the larger gaming community. By sharing their favorite soundtracks and discussing the impact of video game music, members of Reddit communities are helping to ensure that this history is not lost. Whether you’re a fan of classic games or just enjoy listening to great music, there’s something for everyone in the world of video game soundtracks.
1. What is the Reddit community that discusses the best video game soundtracks?
The Reddit community that discusses the best video game soundtracks is called “video games” on Reddit. It is a subreddit dedicated to discussing all things related to video games, including their soundtracks.
2. How often is the best video game soundtrack discussed on Reddit?
The best video game soundtrack is discussed on Reddit regularly, as it is a popular topic among gamers. The discussions can range from debates about which soundtrack is the best to sharing personal experiences of how the music enhances the gaming experience.
3. What criteria are used to determine the best video game soundtrack?
The criteria used to determine the best video game soundtrack can vary depending on personal preferences, but some common factors include the originality of the music, the way it complements the game’s atmosphere, and its overall impact on the player’s experience.
4. Are there any specific video game soundtracks that are consistently ranked highly on Reddit?
Yes, there are several video game soundtracks that are consistently ranked highly on Reddit. Some of the most popular ones include the soundtracks from the Final Fantasy series, the Legend of Zelda series, and the Halo series.
5. How can I get involved in the discussions about the best video game soundtracks on Reddit?
To get involved in the discussions about the best video game soundtracks on Reddit, you can simply join the “video games” subreddit and participate in the discussions. You can also share your own opinions and recommendations in the comments section or start a new thread to spark a conversation.